I am happy to report that I have another super simple, delicious veggie burger recipe to share with you all!
You just throw all the ingredients into a food processor, shape into patties, and cook in a pan for less than 10 minutes. I’m not sure a recipe could be much easier than that.
These Walnut Carrot Burgers from Connoisseurus Veg held together very well and had great flavoring, mainly from the cumin and garlic. My fridge wasn’t very well stocked but I would suggest serving them with some guacamole. But maybe that’s just because I’m obsessed with guacamole.
First, chop up 2 carrots and 1/2 an onion into chunks. Throw into a food processor with a few cloves of garlic.
Process until finely chopped. (Start on low so the carrots can get chopped up a bit first before you turn up the speed.)
Add the rest of the ingredients: panko bread crumbs, walnuts, cilantro, cornstarch, an egg (or flax seed, if you want these to be vegan), lime juice, cumin, and salt.
Process on high until well combined.
Shape mixture into 3-4 patties and heat a pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
Cover pan and cook for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 4 on the other side.
Serve on whole wheat buns and top with whatever you desire: lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, guacamole, hot sauce, or cheese!
*Note: With the original recipe, there is a recipe for spicy maple ketchup to top these burgers. I opted out of this because I don’t really like ketchup on burgers, but feel free to try it out!
Here’s the recipe slightly modified from Connoisseurus Veg:
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 2-4 tbsp. fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 egg or 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds (for the vegans!)
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- olive oil for pan
- Place carrots, onion and garlic into food processor bowl. Pulse until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add panko, walnuts, cilantro, cornstarch, egg (or flax), lime juice, cumin and salt. Blend until completely mixed, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. If using flax seeds, add a splash of water if the mixture seems dry.
- Shape mixture into 3-4 patties.
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil and place over medium heat.
- Working in batches if necessary, place burgers in skillet and cover. Cook about 4 minutes, until lightly browned on bottoms. Gently flip, recover, and cook another 4 minutes on opposite side.
- Serve on whole wheat buns and add your desired toppings. I suggest guacamole!