Last night, I tried a new chili recipe and I LOVED it. It makes me so happy to find a recipe that I love this much just by clipping random recipes that I see online. Even better, this recipe is simple and super healthy. I can’t wait to make this again: Smoky Red and Black Chili, a recipe that I found on My Darling Vegan. Do yourself a favor and try it out.
Start by chopping up an onion and a red bell pepper.
Heat some oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
Meanwhile, drain and rinse the black beans and kidney beans.
Add the red pepper to the pot and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and liquid smoke.
Stir to coat veggies.
Add beans, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, and 2 cups of water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
While the chili is cooking, chop up about 4 cups of kale (5-6 leaves).
Add the kale and stir. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Let cool for a few minutes and serve.
Here’s the recipe from My Darling Vegan, slightly modified:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 2 (14.5) ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp liquid smoke
- 4 cups of kale, chopped
1. Chop up the onions and tomatoes. Drain and rinse black beans and kidney beans.
2. In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. 3. Add bell pepper and saute for another 5 minutes.
3. Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and liquid smoke to the pot and stir to coat.
4. Once vegetables are coated, stir in beans, tomatoes and water. Bring chili to boil, and then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Chop up kale. Add kale and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Let cool for a few minutes and serve.
Do you have a favorite vegetarian chili?