Hi friends! I have so much to update you on! I made a couple great recipes over the weekend and then went to see Pentatonix in concert last night! If you don’t know Pentatonix, click that link and go listen to all of their music.
They are the most amazing a cappella group and recently won a grammy for their Daft Punk Medley. They also have the 4th best selling album of 2014 for their second Christmas album. They do covers/mashups as well as original music and are all amazing musicians.
Ok, enough gushing about PTX. All of this is to say I had a busy Monday and didn’t get to post yesterday.
On Friday night, I finally tried making a Cauliflower Pizza Crust. Using cauliflower instead of flour is great for so many reasons. This crust is gluten-free and uses about 8 cups of cauliflower. This means it’s much richer in nutrients, fiber, and even protein, while much lower in carbs (the refined kind) and calories. So yes, you can have your pizza and eat it too.
Just to be clear, the cauliflower pizza crust does not taste like a regular pizza crust, but it does taste good!
Preheat the oven to 375. Then cut up a head of cauliflower into chunks. Place in the food processor and process on high until it has a fine rice-like texture, just like you would if making cauliflower rice. Spread out the cauliflower on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (I don’t have a round pizza stone, but a regular baking sheet works just fine.)
Bake cauliflower for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix up an egg, 1/2 cup mozzerella, basil, salt and pepper in one bowl.
Line another bowl with a double layered cheesecloth. You can get cheesecloth at most supermarkets. Just cut the size that you need and line the bowl. When the cauliflower is done baking, transfer to the cheesecloth.
Let the cauliflower cool for 5 or 10 minutes. Then squeeze as much water out of it as possible. This took about 5 minutes, so be thorough! Now increase the oven heat to 450.
Add the cauliflower to the egg/cheese mixture.
Mix well together and add back to the baking sheet. Press out until you form an even crust. (If you need to, line the sheet with new parchment paper first. I didn’t have parchment paper and just sprayed the pan, but the crust did stick to the pan, so make sure you do use the parchment paper!)
Bake for 15 minutes more.
Now you have your cauliflower pizza crust!
Add whatever toppings you want now! I went with traditional pizza and just added tomato sauce and mozzerella, but there are so many options here. Get creative!
Lower the oven heat back to 375 and bake for about 10 minutes more, depending on what toppings you decided to use.
Revel in the fact that the pizza you are eating is super healthy
Here is the recipe, slightly adapted from ifoodreal:
- 1 head cauliflower, about 8 cups roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Toppings as desired, such as tomato sauce and mozzerella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet (round or square) with parchment paper.
- Rinse cauliflower, remove the outer leaves and separate into florets with a paring knife. Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and process on high until it has a “rice” texture. Some coarse chunks are fine.
- Lay out evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a bowl with a double/triple layered cheesecloth. In another bowl, mix together egg, cheese, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Remove cooked cauliflower from the oven and place in cheesecloth-line bowl. Let cool for a few minutes. Squeeze the liquid out of the ball, cauliflower inside the cheesecloth, as hard as you can. Be patient and do this for about 5 minutes until barely any liquid comes out.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Transfer cauliflower to the mixing bowl with the egg/chees mixture and mix to combine. Transfer cauliflower mixture onto the same baking sheet you used to roast the florets (Swap the parchment paper for a new one if it gets too soggy), and flatten with your hands until an even pizza crust forms.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Reduce oven heat back to 375 degrees F. Top with your favourite toppings and bake again until cheese on top turns golden brown, about 10 minutes (but this will vary based on your toppings of choice!)
- Slice and enjoy!