Hi guys! I hope you all are doing better than I am.
I came down with a cold on Friday night and I’m still not feeling better. I took it easy over the weekend (besides my long run), but I actually felt worse on Monday and Tuesday, and today doesn’t seem very promising at the moment.
I used to get colds all the time in high school and never remember feeling that terrible, but I feel like now I get sick less often, but it really wears me down!
OK, enough self-pity. I didn’t do much yesterday, but I managed to make myself cook this recipe I had planned and I’m so glad I did! It turned out just as well as I’d hoped (better than attempt #1!), and I got in a dose of healthy veggies, tofu, and whole grains.
This Thai yellow curry recipe has a nice blend of both traditional and non-traditional vegetables, tofu, and bulgur. The bulgur adds a nice nuttiness and chewiness and is a nice alternative to rice!
Start by pressing your tofu for 20-30 minutes. Bring 3/4 cup of bulgur and 1 1/2 cups water to boil on the stove.
Once the bulgur is boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 12 minutes (or according to package directions). When done, remove from heat and set aside, keeping cover on.
Meanwhile, chop up your onion, pepper, broccoli, and carrot.
Next, cut tofu into triangles and heat oil in a large pan.
Add tofu to pan and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until browned and crispy.
Add tofu triangles to a paper-towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
Using the same pan, add coconut milk, curry paste, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Stir together thoroughly and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to continue simmer.
Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
Add broccoli and carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
Add red pepper and cook 3 minutes more. Meanwhile, drain bamboo shoots.
Add bamboo shoots and cooked tofu and cook 2-3 minutes more.
Fold in bulgur in batches and combine well.
Thai Yellow Curry with Tofu, Veggies, and Bulgur
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 can (1 cup) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1/3 cup yellow curry paste
- 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1. Drain and press tofu for 20-30 minutes. Add bulgur and 1 1/2 cups of water to a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Once bulgur is boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 12 minutes (or according to package directions).
3. While bulgur is cooking, chop up onion, pepper, broccoli, and carrot.
4. When bulgur is done, turn off heat, keep cover on, and set aside. When tofu is done pressing, cut into triangles.
5. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add tofu triangles. Cook for about 5 minutes per side. When done, set on a paper-towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
6. In the same pan, add coconut milk, curry paste, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to continue simmer.
7. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add broccoli and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add red pepper and cook for 3 minutes more. Drain bamboo shoots.
10. Add bamboo shoots and tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
11. Fold in bulgur in batches and mix well.
12. Ladle into bowls and serve!